Top 5 Memorable Moments At The Falls
One of the wonders of the world basically sits in our backyard and Friday Nik Wallenda will tight rope walk across our turf. As dangerous and daring as his mission seems, he’s giving some quality national attention to the Falls we proudly say is ours. Here’s a little thank you to all the people/shows that had a little time showcasing our Niagara Falls from our Top 5 Memorable Moments at The Falls… Check out what the Falls looks like turned off!
1. The Office filmed an episode here: The gang headed down here for Jim and Pam’s wedding. Here’s a sappy video of the wedding scenes sharing the spotlight with the Falls and even the maid of the mist ride!
2. Superman, on a trip with Lois Lane, shows off his skills when rescuing a little boy who falls over the Falls. Check out this clip from the movie…. the old special effects are on par
3. The Falls vs. Annie Taylor : Taylor was the first daredevil to successfully go over the Falls in a wooden barrel. She survived, only suffering cuts and bruises. Apparently the air tight wooden barrel had air pressure compressed to 30 p.s.i. by a bicycle pump. Unfortunately her story doesn’t end as well as her conquest. Originally Taylor thought her feat would bring her fortune and fame. She died in poverty.
4. Royalty at Niagara Falls: Prince of Wales visited Niagara Falls in 1860 for the Illumination of Niagara Falls that still happens to this day almost every night. They used 200 colored torpedo lights below the American Falls that was unheard of back then.
5. And out goes the Falls: here’s what the Falls looked like on one weird day in 1969 when they shut the Falls off! When U.S. engineers wanted to do some work on the American side of the Falls they “diverted the flow of the Niagara river away from the American side for a few months,” starting in June according to Dailymail. After watching this video, you can get a better idea as to why the Falls has challenged many daredevils over the years. Good luck, Nik Wallenda.
*contributed by Marissa Bruno