Mushroom Toxicity in Pets
This is a very common toxicity this time of year. We have seen a huge increase in this as of late. If you see wild mushrooms growing in your yard or on your walks, it is best to remove them from your yard or to keep your dog away. While it is nearly impossible to tell which mushrooms are toxic vs. non-toxic (typically you need a mycologist, a mushroom expert), you treat all cases as a toxicity to be safe. Mushroom ingestion can lead to signs such as nausea, vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, abdominal pain, walking drunk, seizures, tremors, and if severely toxic can lead to organ failure. If you suspect or know your pet has ingested mushrooms contact or bring your pet to the Village Veterinary Clinic immediately for care!