Most Memorable and Shocking Oscar Moments
Over its 83 years, the Academy Awards ceremony has produced hundreds of memorable, inspirational and surprising moments. The coveted Oscar statuette instigates cinema’s elite to cry, kiss, scream and “exercise.” With emotions running high and the tension thick, there is no telling what will happen during the show.
11. Melissa Leo drops the F Bomb
10. Roberto Benigni Goes Nuts
Upon winning Best Foreign Film for ‘Life is Beautiful,’ the goofy Italian auteur goes wild.
9. Martin Scorsese Finally Wins
After one of the most celebrated forty-year careers in film, the director finally wins a Best Director Oscar for â€œThe Departed.â€
8. Performance Of “Blame Canada
Robin Williams sings the controversial ‘South Park’ anthem and Best Original Song nominee.
7. Jack Palance’s One-Armed Pushups
To celebrate his win for Curly in ‘City Slickers,’ the 73-year old actor celebrates unlike anyone else.
6. Adrien Brody Kisses Halle Berry
The 29-year old becomes the youngest to win Best Actor and celebrates by kissing the reigning Best Actress.
5. Robert Opal Becomes The Oscar Streaker
The unknown photographer becomes infamous in moments for his naked run across the stage.
4. Heath Ledger Wins For The Joker
Perhaps the saddest and emotionally-moving moment in the award show’s history, the parents and sister of the recently deceased young actor accept his award.
3. Sally Field’s You Like Me Speech
This has become the most quoted, and possibly misquoted, acceptance speech of all time.
2. Sidney Poitier Wins Best Actor
In 1964, the star of ‘Lillies of the Field’ becomes the first African-American to win the Best Actor Oscar.
1. Charlie Chaplin’s American Return
After a 20-year self-imposed exile from the United States, the silent film mega-star returns to accept an honorary Academy Award.