How to Prepare For Possible Effects of Hurricane Sandy
Having listened to Channel 7′s meteorologist Mike Randall, there is a pretty good chance that high wind and rain could cause downed power lines and outages in Western New York. Here are five steps to take prior to the approaching storm.
- Secure all outdoor items like patio furniture, garbage cans and portable basketball nets.
- Anything in your basement that is not replaceable should be brought up to the first floor of your house.
- Clear any drains near your house of debris to reduce the risk of flooding.
- Have flashlights, candles and a battery-powered radio at hand in the event the power goes out.
- For those of you lucky enough to have a generator, make sure you have enough gasoline to sustain several hours — if not days — of no electricity.
And finally, make sure you check in on your elderly neighbors who may need assistance.