JACK’s Ticket Thingy: 25 Years of The Goo Goo Dolls
All day today Jack FM is hooking you up with Goo Goo Dolls tickets to Friday's show at Darien Lake. Listen at the top of the hour every hour until 5 pm for your chance to win. It's hard to believe that 2011 marks the 25th year anniversary for the band, and the creation of Buffalo's biggest superstars. Formed in 1986, it seems like yesterday that they were rockin out at the Continental. Now in their 40's Robbie and Johnny continue thier popularity with a new album and a song on the Transformers soundtrack. Hopefully this timeline will give you a better look at where these memorable years went.
(1986-1993) The band's origins and early music
- The band was originally titled The Sex Maggots, and later switched to Goo Goo Dolls when promoters refused to book them under that name.
- 1987, the band released their first album, which was self titled.
- 1989 they released their second album, Jed, after moving to Los Angeles.
- Their third album, Hold Me Up, was released in 1990. This is when Johnny Rzeznik started getting over his shyness and started doing vocals on tracks.
- Super Star Car Wash album, 1993. First national success for the band.
(1995-1997) Mainstream breakthrough
- A Boy Named Goo directed the band to a more commercial, fan friendly direction.
- "Name" gave the band national recognition and began their rise to super stardom.
- At this time, the band was in a very serious legal dispute over royalties they felt they were owed from this album. The end result landed the band with Warner Bros.
(1998-2005) Dizzy Up the Girl and Super stardom
- "Iris" for the City of Angels soundtrack remained at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 for a record breaking 18 weeks and landed the band 3 Grammy nominations.
- Dizzy Up the Girl goes triple-platinum.
- "Slide", "Broadway", "Black Balloon", and "Dizzy" propel the band to the top of mainstream music with almost unparalleled success during the mid-90's.
- Gutterflower adds to band's success with songs like "Here is Gone" and "Sympathy."
- Band covers Supertramp's "Give a Little Bit" which reached the top of the Adult Top 40 chart in 2005.
(2006-Present) Let Love in , Greatest Hits, and Something For the Rest of Us
- Let Love In continued the band's mainstream success.
- They released two greatest hits albums, titled Volume 1 and Volume 2, that also had much success.
- The band's music has appeared in mainstream media in the form of television, movies, and sports for years now.
- Something For the Rest of Us released August 31st, 2010.
The Goo Goo Dolls incredible success was years in the making before their music started hitting the radio waves. Through trials and tribulations, the band has stuck it out and became one of the most popular bands in the last few decades. We are proud to say the band is from Buffalo and we hope they continue making music that so many people enjoy. Don't think you can win free tickets from Jack FM? You can still buy tickets to Friday's show at Livenation.com